Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Bookshelf ABC - S

Still Life with Woodpecker remains one of my favorite books of fiction. In college I went through a Tom Robbins phase and his offbeat yet sophisticated humor and characters entertained me in a way that others writers could not. As an author, Robbins influenced my writing as much as Faulkner and Twain. I need to go back and reread Robbins's tomes to see if if I've outgrown them or if I interpret them the same over twenty years since I first discovered them.

Oh, and did I mention that this novel takes place inside a package of Camel cigarettes?


So, do share an S title with me.

3 comments:

Jo said...

The Sparrow and right now I have forgotten the author. I don't count the word 'the'. Maria Doria Russell. I googled. It's a fabulous book.

Unknown said...

I am always a sucker for a good horse story and Seabiscut by Laura Hillenbrand is the best!! Laura has been a contributing writer/editor for Equus magazine since 1989, so she really knows her horses and horse people. She has only written two books, the other one will be my U book.

William Kendall said...

Seabiscuit would have been my first suggestion, but there's also Austen's Sense and Sensiblity, and Doyle's Study in Scarlet.