Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Bookshelf ABC - A

A Time to Kill by John Grisham is on par with To Kill A Mockingbird. Because I read this book first, nothing he has written since has ever measured up for me.Beautifully composed and powerfully thought provoking, it opens with the brutal murder of young black girl by two white men. The wounds of the racial divide in a southern town reopen with a fury and an attorney finds himself in the storm.

I haven't yet read Sycamore Row, Grisham's novel inspired by A Time to Kill, so I can't comment on its quality. Yet, despite my disappointment in his works that have followed A Time to Kill, I'm  tempted to read it.




What are the best A novels (titles begin with the letter A) you've read? Return the favor and help me with my reading list.

4 comments:

Jo said...

I went right off Grisham books, found them somewhat same old same old. Right now I cannot think of one book starting with A. Bearing how much I read, that's ridiculous.

Jo said...

A Sparrow Falls by Wilbur Smith. Old book but it starts with A.

William Kendall said...

There was a book from the 90s by Jack Higgins called Angel of Death, dealing with Irish terrorism, that I liked. His more recent books, well, he's spent too much time not writing his main character in for long stretches and substituting mediocre shadows.

I have read A Time To Kill, and it is powerful. The only other Grisham novel I've read was Pelican Brief.

Michelle said...

A Duty To The Dead by Charles Todd. I love the whole Bess Crawford series.