Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Bookshelf ABC - H

The Hotel New Hampshire confirmed for me that I would be a writer. Though I primarily write non-fiction, I can pinpoint the beginning of inspiration with the cracking open of this book. It wasn't John Irving's mad cast of characters that stirred me so much as it was his prose. I wanted to string together words like he did and suddenly I knew I could.

By the by, my favorite part is when the dog dies, not because the dog dies, but because of what happens next.



A bonus H book to check out: Help Me, Jacques Cousteau

How many H titles can you name?

5 comments:

David P. King said...

Love hearing about what books lead authors to start their own writing. :)

Jo said...

One of my very favourite books is Havenstar by Glenda Larke, I love all her work, but this was her first and has recently been revamped and reissued. Still a great story.

William Kendall said...

One book I haven't read as of yet. I'm drawing a bit of a blank on H books, though I'm sure I've read more than my share of titles starting with that letter.

Stephanie Faris said...

I've never read that one...it was made into a movie, correct?

Unknown said...

I love John Irving, but I have not read that one, I will try to find it.