Search This Blog

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Bookshelf ABC - C

Cutting for Stone is a book my mother loaned to me after a friend loaned it to her. My mother didn't read it. She said it's not her kind of book. The book's narrator is the offspring of a missionary nun who has an illicit affair with the doctor with whom she works. He explores the characters of his mother and father, but more than that he lays out the consequences, both good and bad, of decisions made before he was ever born.

I raced through the first half of this book. I couldn't put it down. Though I didn't find the second half as compelling, it was just as fascinating.


What C titles are on your bookshelf?

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Cress Delahanty by Jessamyn West. My Mom gave it to me when I was 14 because she'd read it for the first time when she was that age, and loved it. She thought I'd like it too. I do. I've read it many times since. And the only reason my daughter isn't named Cress is because my husband said no!

Jo said...

Come to Grief by Dick Francis. I think I have every book he wrote and I loved them all.

Also, slight cheat, The Clan of the Cave Bear by Jean M. Auel, one of my favourite books although I wasn't as keen on her later ones.

Not sure I would like that book either, Cutting for Stone

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I like the one the first commenter said, Cress Delahanty by Jessamyn West. I remember reading that book and I loved it. I'd like to read it again. Cutting for Stone sounds very intriguing. I'd love to read it.

William Kendall said...

I haven't heard of this one, Lucy.

I'd have to look at my bookshelf!