Search This Blog

Friday, April 29, 2011

Yarn

Yarn: A long rambling tale that frequently deals with adventure or tall-tales and is told in colloquial or idiomatic English.

An Example from Literature: Lincoln's Yarns and Stories: A Complete Collection of the Funny and Witty Anecdotes by Alexander K. McClure - Abe Lincoln is known as the story telling president. He used his tales to communicate and teach lessons.

My Try: Begin at April 1st and read back through the My Try section of each post and you will read a yarn.

My favorite yarn is the one about the three legged pig. It's in my book If Mama Don't Laugh, It Ain't Funny. I also had an uncle who loved to weave stories for us kids. Usually he tried to scare us at the end. I both loved and hated when he would tell us one of his yarns. What's your favorite yarn? Who told it to you? What did you get from it?

(This blog post is brought to you as a part of the April A to Z Challenge.)

April 30th - Zeugma

5 comments:

Wanda said...

Picked up something new here. I guess my dad would be would of the best yarn tellers I know.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

The word yarn take s me back, my mother used that word very often.

Enjoyed your Y word post.
Yvonne.

Author Joshua Hoyt said...

I like your yarn post. My grandpa always had good yarns to tell.

Brianna said...

I can't think of a yarn at the moment.

I am intrigued with the story of the three legged pig!

Mike said...

There once was a three legged pig.
Not small, but not very big.
He walked with a jerk,
And couldn't find work,
But danced him a helluva jig!

Is this the yarn in your book? (Should be.)