Search This Blog

Friday, April 22, 2011

Simile

Simile: A comparison made by between two things using the words like or as. _________________ is like ______________. It ____________________ as ____________________. A very simple literary device to use, it has been employed almost since the beginning of time.

An Example from Literature: Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

“The cafĂ© was like a battleship stripped for action.”

My Try: Netty sat on the sofa like she might slip down a rabbit hole if she didn't cling on. She could hear Lou Ellen on the phone in the other room. Patience and resolve held hands, swinging their arms as school children do when gathering momentum to sprint away across the playground. They might for sure skip out on her if Lou Ellen didn't get on back pretty quick. Front door freedom was a lot closer than back door salvation at this point.

Create a silly simile and leave it as a comment. I enjoy reading your ideas, so tell me, what do you think will happen next? Will Netty run while she can? Or will she stay?

(This blog post is brought to you as a part of the April A to Z Challenge.)

April 23rd - Tactile Imagery

6 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Snap Lucy we both had the same word today,
Loved your version.
Yvonne.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Hey, yours was a good example!

This is one I used for one of my books:

“Stalking?” Brad made a face, drawing back as if he’d been asked to host a Pampered Chef party. “I didn’t say anything about stalking."

Brianna said...

Toddlers fresh out of a bath are like blank canvases just waiting to be smudged with colorful fingerprints.

In other words, just gave my girl a bath and she's already got marker on her fingers!

Netty stays I think. She's a fighter.

the writing pad said...

Hi Lucy
Thanks for the Simile post and for your comment over at mine.
I think Netty stays, too :-)
Can't think of a simile because I'm as tired as a trout swimming up a waterfall!

Theres just life said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. It is nice to see you.
I am having a hard time thinking up a good simile. Right now my thoughts are as clear as a river during a flood.

Pamela Jo
http://theresjustlifeyaliveit.blogspot.com

M Pax said...

I loved your Netty sitting on the sofa simile, it was like whipped cream on a Reese's peanutbutter cup. :)