Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Personification

Personification: It is the technique of applying human characteristics, behaviors, or thoughts to abstractions, animals, ideas, and inanimate objects. When moonlight tritely dances on water, it is personified all the same.
An Example from Literature: Emily Dickinson, The Train

I like to see it lap the miles,
And lick the valleys up,
And stop to feed itself at tanks;
And then, prodigious, step

Around a pile of mountains,
And, supercilious, peer
In shanties by the sides of roads;
And then a quarry pare

My Try: The tornado pirouetted on tip-toe, an angry, drunken dancer spinning out of control. She stumbled over rooftops and crashed through trees, flinging lesser objects from her path.
 
Charlie and AnnaBelle Mae heard the swelling whistle of the tornado's approach and screamed frantically at Netty. Netty, on her knees, fists shaking at the sky, either ignored their pleas or couldn't hear them.
 
"She gone wrestle that tornado!" Netty hollered, panicked.

How about writing your own example of personification as a comment? Or tell me what you think will happen next in Netty's ongoing story. I love reading your ideas.
(This blog post is brought to you as a part of the April A to Z Challenge.)

April 20th - Quem Quaeritis

8 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Each one of us as our own pesonal stamp on how we live, Our own faults and good points.
Loved your post.

Enjoy your day.
Yvonne.

Brianna said...

You did an awesome job personifying the tornado!

So good in fact, I can't think of a single example of personification.

Manzanita said...

The tornado gathered objects as if shopping at a white sale and re-arranged them blocks away. It was then, the sky gave birth to the stinging, piercing rain drops.
Manzanita

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Thank you for your most welcomed comment.
Yvonne.

Mike said...

The hammer in my hand could not find a nail, but was certainly good at hunting down my thumb!

Stephanie said...

Great post!!! I'm also doing the A-Z Challenge. It was..random, since that's what my blog is all about:) Stop by the randomness!

Crystal Pistol said...

Love it! Personfication is one of my favorite tools. Everything comes alive in my mind. Blenders. Forks. Shoes with tongues. Corn with ears.

You catch my drift. Fun!

Anonymous said...

It would take me a long time to come up with something as good as yours!

I enjoy reading anything you write. I'm loving the Netty stories.
Ann Carbine Best’s Long Journey Home