Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Enallage

Enallage: Misusing grammar for the purpose of characterizing a speaker or creating a memorable phrase. Intentionally misusing grammar to characterize a speaker or to create a memorable phrase. Enellage is not the same as the traditional and uncomfortably acceptable misuse of grammar pervasive in the southern United States. It is the intentional misuse of grammar by a writer who knows correct usage from incorrect.

An Example from Literature: Shakespeare, Henry IV (Part 2): "Is there not wars? Is there not employment?"

My Try: After work, Netty in no condition to drive her home, AnnaBelle Mae, waddled down to the corner to catch a ride with Dorothea who cleans for Miss Cicily. "I don't know 'bout that Miz Netty," AnnaBelle Mae confided in Dorothea. "She think she suffering, but ain't got no idea 'bout real suffering. She like Job's wife. Got herself a good man, but God hisself could come down here and ask, 'Netty Duggan, what I can do to make you happry?' and she'd spit in his eye."

Enallage - your chance to get it right using it wrong. No one will correct you today. Leave your example as a comment, if you will.

(This blog post is brought to you as a part of the April A to Z Challenge.)

April 7th - Freudian Slip

7 comments:

Dawn M. Hamsher said...

My attempt:
Bubba (after winning the lotto): I's gonna buy me a mess o' Coonhounds. (spits) Then a Hemi 'n new aluminum hunting dog crates for the truck bed; I seen ‘em on the in-er-net. 'N, I’s gonna buy my mama a brand new trailer, one of those new double-wides 'cause she deserve the best.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Great post Lucy,

Yvonne.

Brianna said...

This is a very revealing piece about the character of Netty!

So far I'm 0 for 5 when it comes to actually using these terms in a comment. I won't give up trying though :)

Unknown said...

@Dawn - Most excellent. Bad grammar used right can be soooo good.

shah wharton said...

So sorry I didn't get to repay your visit earlier - its been a hectic day and at almost 10pm I'm on my last legs. I'll say thank you and come back tomorrow and actually have a look around. Great to have you at my blog. Shah. X

Unknown said...

Fellow A to Z'er stopping by to say hello. I'd not heard of that term. Thanks for the great post!

Don Harris said...

My favorite is "Is you is or is you ain't?"