Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2011

Gradatio

Gradatio: Repeating the last word of a clause at the beginning of the next clause for several clauses in a row. The rhythmical pattern carries the reader across the text and establishes a connection between words and ideas.

An Example from Literature: In the New Testament of the Bible, St. Paul states, "We glory in tribulations also, knowing that tribulation worketh patience; and patience, experience; and experience, hope, and hope maketh man not ashamed."

My Try: AnnaBelle Mae looked at Dorothea, who had not so much as grunted. "Are you listenin' to me? I'm tellin' you that girl goin' down a slippery slope. Slippery slope gone lead to a muddy pit. Muddy pit gone make for a messy situation. Messy situation gone make me lose my job. Are you listenin', Dorothea? Rainy days is comin'."

Gradatio has a graceful lilt, does it not? Grace the comments with your gradatio.

(This blog post is brought to you as a part of the April A to Z Challenge.)

April 9th - Hyperbole

9 comments:

Gregg Metcalf said...

I lament the fact that I don't know these English terms as you do. If I did it would make my work in the Greek so much easier.

Great example from the Apostle Paul!

Gregg Metcalf
Colossians 1:28-29

Gospel-driven Disciples

Cathy said...

Great choice for the A to Z posts. I'll be back to read more. And yes, I like very much your try at gradatio.

Ann said...

Now this was an interesting choice for the G-day. Your Gradatio was truly light and graceful. Very lilting indeed.

Delighted to make you acquaintance.

Hannah said...

ooh, I love learning new names for things! Informative post. :D Nice to meet you as well!

Angela said...

It's so refreshing to see a writer singing the praises of good repetition.

Li said...

I like the "voice" of your gradatio. I agree, it is an elegant word and if used properly creates its own flow.

Lisa said...

Gradatio makes an interesting G word. Interesting G word to complete a challenge. A fun challenge created by Arlee. You explained the word so well, now I understand what is gradatio. Gradatio I tried, but didn't quite make it.

Anonymous said...

Lovely choice of word for G. I have used this technique without knowing its name :)

Brianna said...

This was an informative post. Post more of these. These posts teach me a lot. A lot I have to learn.

Gosh that was terrible! But at least this time my brain managed to put something together :)