Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Four Words/Phrases to Avoid in 2012

As we embark upon 2012, a new year with an unknown future brimming with potential, let's make a pledge to one another - right here, right now - to unleash our creative energies and express ourselves more powerfully than we did in 2011. To that end, let us join together in a stalwart effort against the forces of popular, over-used phrases of the masses! No more shall we utter or write the following 4 phrases or words, elevating not only ourselves, but all mankind. It is a noble struggle to which we commit our unwavering resolve, but together      we     will     prevail.

Note to self, do not say or write:
  1. Amazing - Michigan’s Lake Superior State University features this beaten-like-a-dead-horse word in its annual List of Words Banished from the Queen’s English for Misuse, Overuse and General Uselessness. The 2012 list  was compiled by the university from nominations submitted from across the globe.

    Read more: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/12/30/dont-get-caught-using-these-banned-words-in-2012/#ixzz1iVVJErIY
  2. LOL - If you feel compelled to say or write this acronym for Laugh Out Loud after something you've said or written, then what you've said or written more than likely isn't Laugh Out Loud, or even mildly amusing. As they say in the comedic business, if you must tell people how funny you are, then you're not.
  3. Just sayin' - Just don't.
  4. I know, right? - Every time my 16 year-old asks me this statement, my hackles rise. If he knows then why does he need affirmation from me that he knows. How could I possibly know whether he knows or not? Be confident that you do know, even if you don't, and leave off the question statement.
I already feel the bubbles from the slow boil of linguistic change rising to the surface. Who's with me?

5 comments:

Susan Kane said...

I am with you all the way. Can we add: like, you know

and any others that arise?

Lisa said...

Lucy and Susan, I beg of the world, please please PLEEEEEEEEEASE let us all refrain from using the word 'epic'. Every time I hear it I want to jump in my car and run someone down. :)

Millerwrites said...

You got it!

Brianna said...

I'm with you. But it's going to be hard not laughing at myself. Just sayin' LOL ;)

William Kendall said...

And let's ban the word Primary for awhile too, while we're at it.