Search This Blog

Monday, January 10, 2011

Organization Challenge - Don't Go Against Mama


So, I've given myself this Better Homes and Gardens challenge to commemorate my annual futile resolution, To get more organized. Using the January 2011 issue's article, Cool, Calm and Decluttered: 25 Ways to Pare Down and Get Organized for a Fresh New Year, I'm employing some expert advice and applying new strategies to my home organization.

Right away, however, I eliminated tips 1, 2, and 3 from my repertoire. Tip 1 suggests that every three months I reserve a Saturday morning for a family cleanout. I can't do that. Think about it. That takes planning and future effort. I need immediate gratification.

Tip 2 says to avoid "zig-zag organizing" and focus on one room or project at a time instead of scattering my efforts over multiple rooms. That would be like denying that I am who I am, and who would I be without my zig-zag? Plus it goes against what my mama says, which is to set a timer for five minutes in every room and get as much done as I can, then move on with my day and my life. I can't go against Mama.

Tip 3 addresses agonizing over material possessions. It says that when trying to decide whether to get rid of something, I should ask myself, "Do I love it? Do I use it? Could someone else use it?" But the way I see it is that if my gut says not to let go, then I shouldn't let go. And I'm sorry all you organization gurus, but having a picture of grandma's antique silver service is not the same as actually owning the item and running my fingers over it and letting it transport me back to when I was barely eye-level with the top of the buffet in her dining room where she kept that silver service alongside a box of Whitman's chocolates. I'd rather hate polishing the silver than give up the power that it has to connect me to my past.

Well, this has been a fruitful day of organizing, wouldn't you say? Knowing what I won't do in the name of a New Year's resolution is as important as being clear on what I will do. Every girl should know her limits. I think Mama might agree with me on that.

No comments: